I finally made something for my husband, yay me! I was very scared to try sewing menswear but my husband has been wanting an African shirt for a while. I didn't have a pattern so I used one of his shirts to cut the fabric. This is something I learned from Myra's blog - you simply lay the garment of your choice and cut around it, adding seam allowance of course. I used one of his favorite polo shirts and the process went so well. I actually liked it much better than using a pattern. For the sleeves I used an old shirt that he no longer wears, and I actually cut them out and laid them on the fabric.
Sorry I didn't take more pics. The fabric is from JoAnn [Ethnic African Kente fabric]. I saw it online and it was only available in one store near me. It was definitely worth the drive because it sewed really easily and ironed very well. It made the whole project go quickly. I'm planning on making another one soon; he actually would like several versions for the summer. Anyway, next week we're celebrating our 10 year anniversary; I can't believe how time flies!
I hope you all have a wonderful week. Happy Sewing!