Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Simplicity 1618 Top View C │ Wearable Muslin


Hey everybody, I'm back with a muslin version of S1618 - view C with a cold shoulder. I really like this style and it seems to be trending a lot this summer. I cut size medium, and the pattern has a lot of ease - for my final version I'll go with small. I also need an easier-to-handle type of knit, or just leave the seams unserged. I serged the center front and back seams and it caused wrinkling and pulling that wouldn't completely iron out even with a steam iron. The pattern is pretty simple, though, and the top comes together quickly. The cold shoulder wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be. 


From the side view you can tell how loose it is . The fabric is very comfortable so it makes a great top to wear at home and while running errands. I'm so behind on my summer sewing - I need a bunch of tops. Hopefully I can get a few done in the next couple of weeks. 
Part of the reason why I haven't been sewing is that we lost my father-in-law last month and it's been such a sad time for the family. I lost all my sewjo when it happened and I'm slowly trying to get back to normal. 


Hope you're all having a wonderful week. Happy sewing!

24 comments:

  1. Nice top. I would cut the front on the fold for view C to eliminate the seam line at the center front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. That'll definitely solve the problem. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks a lot Mariela.

      Delete
  2. Cute little top. So sorry for the loss. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your top looks great! I am sure you will catch up on your summer tops in no time. I agree that you could probably size down. Do you go by the finished garment measurements? I have found those to be a HUGE help in getting the fit I like in garments, and am so glad to see them on pattern envelopes now.

    Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Prayers for you and your family as you navigate through this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always look at the finished garment measurements, I need to do it more consistently. That would have helped.

      Your prayers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Vanessa.

      Delete
  4. This looks lovely on you. I like the colour and the shape. Very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a cute top! It looks stunning. I am really glad that you are back:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your muslin turned out really nice! I love the "cold shoulder" look!! So very sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Sending prayers for you and your family to get through this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Myra. Your prayers would be so appreciated.

      Delete
  7. I love your new pink top - the colour suits you. Simple tops like these are great for sewers like you who have a busy life - quick to make, no fitting and look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz. I'm definitely sticking to quick projects for now.

      Delete
  8. P.S. Sorry to hear about the sad loss of your father-in-law. Always a demanding and draining time, but so important to "be there" for others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about your sad loss, sending good thoughts to you and your family Your new top is so pretty on you, you look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty top. Love the sleeve detail and the colour suits you beautifully. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice top! Thanks for bringing this pattern to my attention! Seems to be a very useful basic pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is basic, and quick to make. Thanks Judith.

      Delete
  12. I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. Praying for you and family.
    Love the top.. Pink fabric is so pretty.
    I have this pattern, I had forgotten the top with the shoulder cut out.. I will
    have to re-look at this pattern. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers, Judy. You should definitely give this pattern a try. I really liked it a lot.

      Delete