Friday, March 17, 2017

McCall's M5847 Denim Dress


My first time sewing with denim - yay! I always thought denim would be difficult to handle because it's so bulky but it was actually very easy to sew with. I love the pinstripe denim; I knew right away that I wanted to make a shirtdress. I used McCall's 5847, which I've had for quite some time so I'm glad I finally got to it. Warning - this pattern involves a lot of hand sewing, so if you don't like to sew by hand then you may want to stay away. Other than that it's a really great pattern and the instructions were easy to follow. I made view A and the only change I made was to skip the pockets. I think the pinstripe really doesn't need a lot of detail. 


I'm very pleased with the way it turned out so I'll definitely be making more versions of this pattern. 



I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Happy sewing!

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE this denim dress! It looks great on you. I would like to see your another one from this pattern. Happy sewing too:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli. I'm seriously considering making another one right away, but with linen fabric. I really love this pattern.

      Delete
  2. Your denim dress is beautiful! You did such a good job for working with denim for the first time, I know you are proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really proud of how it turned out. I can't wait to make more items with denim. Thanks Vanessa.

      Delete
  3. This is such a beautiful dress and the pinstripe denim is gorgeous. Denim is a wonderful fabric to sew with so I am glad you have had success with it and will use it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa. Demin really makes garments look beautiful. I'm so glad I tried it.

      Delete
  4. That's a great pattern - I'm glad you showed the picture, it is in my stash as yet unmade as well. In fact I had forgotten about it! so you have reminded me nicely, with this wonderful version you have made. The pinstripe in the denim really makes it look very smart, as do the classic seam lines. Some denim's are too heavy for this sort of dress, but it looks as though you picked one that was light enough to work. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd love to see your version of this pattern. This denim really worked well; a heavier denim definitely wouldn't have. Thanks Sarah.

      Delete
  5. Denim is all about finding the right weight for your project and you nailed it! It falls just perfectly. This will be a great and versatile addition to your wardrobe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this pretty dress on you. it suits you beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. To participate a formal party you always need a good dress. For me, I love wearing a see through club dress. It makes me look sexy and it's comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. See more denim dress,you can click here.it's a good choice for you ~~
    www.gearbest.com/dress-denim-_gear/

    ReplyDelete