Saturday, January 21, 2017

Simplicity 8254 For My Mother



Happy New Year everybody! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and enjoyed some quality time with family. It's been quite busy for me but I managed to get a little sewing done. My mom was in town for the holidays so I decided to make her a dress with the fabric left over from my african print dress that I made a year ago. These pictures were taken in the evening so the color of the fabric looks a bit pale, but it is actually a beautiful deep blue. The fabric is so easy to work with and it irons so well. I used a vintage pattern - Simplicity 8254.


I really love the pattern and the instructions were quite easy to follow. It was my first time making a dress for someone else, so my biggest challenge was trying to get the right fit. In the end it worked out well and we were able to take some family portraits with her wearing it. I also made a shirt for my husband, which I'll post soon. 


Hope you all have a wonderful week and Happy Sewing!

27 comments:

  1. Your Mother is wearing that smile that says you did a great job! I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mother looks beautiful in the dress that you made for her. You did an awesome job with her dress! I look forward in seeing your husband shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a wonderful job on the dress for your Mother...I'm sure she's loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She really loves it. Thanks Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job!!! The fit is perfect! Your mom look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!! When I got to the pattern part I thought, aha!! I believe my mom had a version of this for church back in the day! Now I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It definitely is suitable for church. It's a great pattern - you should get it. Thanks Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year! Your mother is lucky! It's a beautiful dress:) I've ever seen that pattern before, or at lest I never noticed it. However, I love this dress:)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful. It is hard making a dress for someone else - not only fit, but you want the sewing to look good, and the receiver to actually like the garment. Your Mum looks like she does - if your part of the world is like ours, it is hard to get simple little dresses in natural fibres. Looks lovely to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely worried about getting it to look good while making something she'll actually like. I'm glad it turned out well. Thanks, Sarah.

      Delete
  10. It's so lovely that you are sewing for her. Your mother looks cool and comfortable in her dress, and I'm sure she's bursting with pride for you, I know I do when my daughter makes something for me! xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, love the dress on your mom. She is beautiful. I can see her happy face wearing the pretty dress made by her daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a sweetie! I bet mom is wearing (and will continue to wear) this dress with much pride! It's perfect for her and she looks so nice in it too! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely! Your mom will wear that dress and always think of you. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! Your mother looks fabulous in that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Luv it! I am trying my hand at this pattern now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Luv it! I am trying my hand at this pattern now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with it. It's a great pattern.

      Delete