Sunday, July 17, 2016

African Print Sorbetto


So, last week was Colette Patterns' Sorbetto Week - what a perfect excuse to make another sorbetto! My husband found this fabric among some old items - it was brought by my mother-in-law from Zimbabwe more than ten years ago. There was less than a yard of it and I couldn't fit both pieces of the pattern. Then I remembered that Carolyn has occasionally incorporated lace into some of her garments - so I decided to cut the front piece and insert lace to make it fit. I found the lace at Wal-Mart of all the places! The fabric was labeled as 100% Zimbabwean cotton; it irons so well and doesn't wrinkle easily. I'd love to have more fabric like this. 


 I finished the hem off as a high-low, and used seam binding for the neckline and armholes. The sorbetto is really fun to make because it comes together pretty quickly. I've worn both of my previous ones so many times, so it's definitely great to have another one. 


I'm so glad I was able to make something out of this little bit of fabric; I love all the different prints on it. It's quite comfortable as well. 
I hope you all are having a wonderful summer; mine's been busier than I thought it would.
 Happy sewing!!