Monday, October 24, 2016

Simplicity 8053 Shirt



Hello everybody, I hope you all are having a wonderful Fall/Spring depending on which part of the globe you live in. I finally got my sewjo back and completed this shirt that I'd started a while ago. I used View A of Simplicity 8053. It's such a great pattern and can be used with just about any type of fabric. I found the fabric on sale at JoAnn; as much as I love plaids I'm really surprised I hadn't made anything with this type of fabric yet. It's so soft and feels great on the skin, irons very well and is just perfect for fall. I'm already thinking of going back and getting more of it in different colors. 

I completely forgot to match the stripes before cutting the fabric, but I still love how it turned out. There are two pockets on the front - they're not very visible on the above picture though. 


The pattern has the yoke being made with a single layer of fabric, which I thought was really strange so I went ahead and cut two pieces of the yoke and attached them with the wrong sides together. I've decided to participate in the MAGAM challenge, so this shirt will be my garment for October. I think with my current schedule making one garment a month is definitely doable. 


Have a wonderful week everyone, and happy sewing!

26 comments:

  1. This shirt came out so cute! Love the fabric you chose, as plaid is one my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Candice. I really love plaids too.

      Delete
  2. Your shirt is so cute..I love the pink plaid. Is it flannel?
    Love flannel shirts.
    I will have to go to Joann's and look at the plaids..
    Proud your sewjo is back.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is flannel. You should definitely check them out, they are great for Fall. Thanks Judy.

      Delete
  3. Great shirt, a must have for Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your plaid shirt looks great! I have never sewn with plaid before, and wouldn't even know the first thing about lining everything up. It's nice to hear you joined MAGAM! I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa. Next time I use this fabric I'm going to try to match up the lines. I'm glad this one didn't turn out bad.

      Delete
  5. I love your plaid shirt - always such a lovely fabric for cooler weather. It isn't noticeable that the plaid does not match - in any case, it's difficult to do that with a princess seam. This pattern makes up nicely - a classic shirt. I agree, one piece of fabric for the yoke is just not a great finish. And welcome to the MAGAM group - as you say, one garment a month is doable, just a bit every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I'm so excited about participating in the MAGAM challenge. It's definitely going to keep me motivated to sew.

      Delete
  6. Very nice shirt! You did a great job! Matching the plaid is perfect. I've never been to JoAnn, so jealous you. Happy October and sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good! You did a great job on this one and it is just screaming fall. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.I love plaids for Fall.

      Delete
  8. I love this shirt - it looks soft and comfy just like you said. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful shirt, love the fabric and you did a lovely work :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shirt looks so comfy and lovely. Absolutely gorgeous for the cooler weather you must be getting now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn. It's definitely suitable for cooler weather; the flannel is quite warm.

      Delete
  11. Wow! You did a great job on this shirt. I really like this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love this pattern, too. I'm already thinking of making another one. Thanks Dorothy.

      Delete
  12. I love this shirt!! So appropriate for this time of the year! I am sure you're going to get a ton of wear of this this lovely shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Myra. I've already worn it quite a few times, lol.

      Delete