Sunday, July 17, 2016

African Print Sorbetto


So, last week was Colette Patterns' Sorbetto Week - what a perfect excuse to make another sorbetto! My husband found this fabric among some old items - it was brought by my mother-in-law from Zimbabwe more than ten years ago. There was less than a yard of it and I couldn't fit both pieces of the pattern. Then I remembered that Carolyn has occasionally incorporated lace into some of her garments - so I decided to cut the front piece and insert lace to make it fit. I found the lace at Wal-Mart of all the places! The fabric was labeled as 100% Zimbabwean cotton; it irons so well and doesn't wrinkle easily. I'd love to have more fabric like this. 


 I finished the hem off as a high-low, and used seam binding for the neckline and armholes. The sorbetto is really fun to make because it comes together pretty quickly. I've worn both of my previous ones so many times, so it's definitely great to have another one. 


I'm so glad I was able to make something out of this little bit of fabric; I love all the different prints on it. It's quite comfortable as well. 
I hope you all are having a wonderful summer; mine's been busier than I thought it would.
 Happy sewing!!

24 comments:

  1. I love the way your top fits you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Very creative use of the lace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely correct...this fabric is gorgeous! I am happy you were able to figure out what to do with it as well! The top looks gorgeous on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sorbetto pattern.. One of the best that Colette patterns did. smile.
    your lace idea...so cute. Just the perfect top..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love how you used the lace! It's perfect with this top! You did a great job with this fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The top looks lovely on you, and the lace insert seems to enhance the pattern on the blue cotton, so I think this was a good choice. I like the little hi/low hem as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a lovely top! I really love your fabric choice and the way...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty Sorbetto! I do really love the fabric and the lace inserted so beautifully. Enjoy wearing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this top on you and love what you did with the lace. You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is very pretty! I like how you used the lace vertically :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a wonderful job. Enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete