Sunday, June 19, 2016

Butterick B5982 Dress


This Butterick pattern is very similar to this Threadcount pattern - the Threadcount version is available for free in pdf. Initially I was going to make the dress using the Threadcount pattern but it comes in 57 pages that need to be cut and taped together again! It's definitely a lot of work so I was very thrilled to find the Butterick version at the recent pattern sale at JoAnn. The pattern comes with 5 main pattern pieces, and comes together pretty quickly. For the bodice, it has separate pieces for cup sizes A/B, C, and D. Since my normal cup size is D - I just went ahead and used the size D pattern piece - bad move!! Their cup sizes are a bit bigger than regular bra sizes so my dress has excess fabric around the bust. Next time I'll have to use the C-cup pattern piece. 


The pattern comes with a belt - but I didn't have enough fabric to make the belt. When I bought this fabric I intended to make a top. The fabric is a silky print and it was really great to work with - it irons so well and feels great on the skin. I'd definitely like to make another version - probably in linen. 

I hope you all have a wonderful week. Happy Sewing!!


27 comments:

  1. A very pretty, timeless, classic dress - and polka dots always look great. And you could wear this with an ordinary black belt for more formal, and a softer black belt, or maybe a colour for other events. Or plain, as you are here.

    I certainly would not have thought that you were a D - or if you are, not a really full D. So yes, next time, C cup. It's not a bad idea to test the bodice first in something cheap - old sheets will do. That way you will get an idea of sizing before cutting out the fashion fabric, and you can adjust if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, Sarah. I definitely should have tested it. Usually I don't have fitting issues with the bodice, but I'd never used a pattern that comes with different cup sizes. Definitely a great lesson for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonito vestido, me encanta y la tela es divina. Estas muy guapa
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonito vestido, me encanta y la tela es divina. Estas muy guapa
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonito vestido, me encanta y la tela es divina. Estas muy guapa
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty dress! Love the polka dots and the neckline shape is so flattering. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a fun dress! It looks so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You are so gorgeous! I absolutely love it! I didn't know the pattern so will make the Threadcount version. Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this fun polka dot dress! Good to know about the cup sizes running big (definitely what I need lol).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dress is beautiful, and will be perfect for lots of occasions!! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dress is beautiful, and will be perfect for lots of occasions!! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a beautiful dress! The combination of the fabric and the polka dots could be dressed up or down - very versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this dress. Polka dots are my favorite.. and it looks so pretty on you.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, this really is gorgeous! such a lovely feminine skirt with the pleats, and the polka dots look so very chic. You look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this pattern once. You fabric is so pretty and such a great fit. I did make the belt. You should try it if you have some left over fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks a lot, Dorothy. Next time I'll have to make the belt. It definitely looks beautiful with it, but this time I didn't have enough fabric.

    ReplyDelete