Monday, September 22, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

My post this week is part of a blog tour called "Around the World Blog Hop". I was nominated by Vanessa of Sew Filled to the Brim. I discovered her blog several months ago; she's very creative and  makes stylish clothing. This year she's participating in the RTW fast, which I plan to participate in next year.

What are you working on?

 My birthday is coming up so I decided to make a birthday dress. I'm using McCall's 6503, which I purchased at the 99c sale at JoAnn's recently. It is a very simple pattern. I plan to make more versions in knit fabrics for the Fall. Here's what I've made so far:


I wanted a bright and colorful fabric in order to make a "happy" birthday dress. My husband doesn't like my fabric choice, he says it's too loud (sad face). Here's the pattern, I'm making view B (the blue one at the top):

I may skip the sleeves though; I haven't really decided. 

Besides my birthday dress, I'm also working on my Fall sewing plans. There's a lot that I need to make before the winter gets here. I really don't want to buy since I'll be participating in the RTW fast next year. I'm forcing myself to get into the habit of making everything I need. 

How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I've really been thinking about this a lot - how my sewing differs from others. I think right now I'm more focused on filling up my wardrobe and improving my sewing skills. As time goes on, I want to start sewing vintage clothing. I really love 30's and 40's clothing.

Why do I write/create what I do?

I really enjoy sewing! Right now I only sew on the weekends, and I look forward to it all week long. It truly is a gift that keeps on giving. You can do so much with this skill. I love being able to make my own clothes - choosing everything from the style of the garment, to the color and the fabric. It's truly amazing. I wish I had gotten back into sewing sooner. As my skills get better, I also want to make more clothes for my family. 

I've found so much encouragement and inspiration from the sewing community. I had no idea there were so many people out there making their own clothes. Not only do I enjoy sewing, I also love to see what others have made, and getting tips and ideas from people who are way more experienced than I am. 

How does my creative process work?

I prefer to purchase my fabric with a pattern already in mind. It's just so much easier for me to buy fabric knowing what I want to use it for. Therefore I do not have a fabric stash! What? Yeah, I said it. I'm pretty sure some day I'll have a fabric stash; when I travel I'll definitely have to buy whatever beautiful fabric I find. Anyway, so I start by finding a pattern that I like, then buy fabric for that pattern, and then make the garment. Sometimes it goes really quickly and I end up with a garment that I love, but then sometimes I just end up with a UFO sitting in my closet for several months. I have several unfinished garments; I just need enough inspiration to get back to them. 
If the pattern is difficult for me, I'll search on the internet to see if another blogger has made it before and try to get some ideas/tips. So I always appreciate it when you share your sewing process.

After my garment is complete, I blog about it then head over to my favorite shoe blog, The Daily Shoe to fantasize about what shoe would be perfect with my garment. Right now I'm in love with this Sophia Webster:



Anyway, next on the blog hop is Dorothy of Sewing Fun Things. She makes very beautiful clothing. I've been following her blog for a while too. Her post will be on Monday, September 29.

Have a wonderful week, and as always, Happy Sewing!



8 comments:

  1. I love your fabric and those shoes are everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabric is very suitable for a birthday dress ~ it's looking great! And thanks for the shoe link ~ we all can dream, right ... J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia, that fabric is perfect for a birthday dress! It looks like it is coming along beautifully. And I have a SMALL fabric stash. I started out very practical, like you, and now it is growing on me. However, I have a purpose for everything I have purchased, and that is mostly to go toward my Fall sewing plan!! Thanks again for participating in this blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to know more about you :) The fabric is so pretty and perfect for birthday dress! Looking forward to see the finished dress :) Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Polka dots are very classic, and I think once made up this will be a lovely dress - ladylike, and not loud at all. The pattern is great, so I should ignore comments and keep sewing:)

    Like Hana, I am glad to know more about you - and no stash, Amazing. Mind you, if I had a decent store near me, I wouldn't stash nearly as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know more about you. My husband gets critical of pattern and fabric choices so I can sympathize. I like it and it will make an amazing birthday dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your new birthday dress is going to be lovely, so fun and colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the choice is great, he will like it once it comes together, who doesnt love polka dots?? Its my favorite lol

    ReplyDelete