Monday, June 2, 2014

Unfinished Sorbetto

Neckline, armholes, and hem all unfinished.

After seeing Annette's lovely sorbettos, I decided to go ahead and download the free sorbetto pattern by Colette patterns. It's such a simple pattern and I knew it would be great to make lots of quick tops for the summer. After cutting and taping the pattern, I placed it against my body to see how far (lengthwise) the top would go, and it seemed to be just perfect, even after subtracting seam allowance. I was so wrong! I regret not having done a better job with checking the length. It is just too short for my long torso - it looks a bit weird when I'm wearing it. So now I'm just wondering whether I should even bother finishing it or toss it and get on with another project? But I really love the fabric though. I may just complete it and wear it at home only. 
Note to self - no more shortcuts, please. 

Happy sewing!

9 comments:

  1. Awww, it happens! Your top is soo pretty! I think it is worth wearing at home for all the work you put into it. I want to try this one as well. I will keep the length issue in mind, as I am long torsoed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a petite and thought it was a bit short. How about sewing a skirt to the bottom and call it a dress. If you can't find a good coordinating fabric, maybe use white and cut a few of the flowers from the scraps and appliqué them on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could try banding the bottom to add length??

    The fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer! Maybe you could gift it to someone with a shorter torso?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fabric choice is gorgeous, I really love bright floral. I am with everyone, you could give it to someone with shorter torso or just wearing it at home. I think you should buy another fabric and make the new one :)
    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can wear it with a high waisted white skirt and it will look like a crop top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Nakisha's idea of using the same fabric and adding a band the needed length.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, everybody. You all have given me some great ideas. I was really disappointed because I love the fabric a lot.

    ReplyDelete