Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Sleeveless Butterick 5235 Dress


I was really starting to think that my sewing machine hates me. I haven't been able to get anything sewn right for a while. After that short sorbetto, I failed miserably on another project - a Vogue skirt. So I decided to make another Butterick 5235 dress since I had trouble with it on this version. This was actually suggested by Dorothy.
I absolutely love how this dress came out. Brown is my favorite color, and I fell in love with this fabric as soon as I saw it at JoAnn.


I skipped the waist darts this time, which made my zipper insertion a lot easier. The waist darts were taking away too much fabric from the center back, which is why I had such a hard time last time. 


I love this pattern a lot. With only two pieces, it really makes for a quick sew. Now I can definitely say that it's one of my TNTs. 

Happy sewing! Congrats to all those who participated in MMM this year. I'll be participating next year. 



20 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a success - sometimes sewing goes like this - a run of things that don't quite work, but I think though there are still things to be learnt. I'm glad D encouraged you to go back to this pattern - it does seem to work without back darts, which is really quite surprising. It looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brown is definitely your color, and your dress is beautiful. You did a marvelous job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you kept on at it, this dress is so pretty on you! I can't wear brown at all, doesn't suit my coloring, but wowza does it ever work for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh very pretty! Love, love, love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fabric and the dress are gorgeous and looks great on you. Keep sewing, we all have our wadders--it's all a part of the sewing process. I call them skill building lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that your dress turned out beautifully and you look good in brown color :) As Sarah Liz sad, I'm also so surprised that the dress will work well without the back darts.
    I hope you will manage to make your Vogue skirt, I think you have to make a muslin first before the real skirt. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I'm going to make a muslin before attempting to complete the Vogue skirt. Thanks, Hana.

      Delete
  7. I think you made a great choice! Your dress looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great dress
    it looks store bought
    i didnt even know dresses could be made without waist darts

    www.midecoker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this fabric. Glad you had great success!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is such a beautiful fabric. Thanks, Dorothy.

    ReplyDelete