Sunday, May 4, 2014

Butterick (See & Sew) 5235 Dress with sleeves

Front view of the dress

So, I put away my Simplicity 6209 dress pattern; it's been replaced by this Butterick 5235. This pattern only has two pieces! Only two! I love it. This is going to be one of my TNTs. I cut the pattern to a size 10 and I can't review the instructions because I didn't use them. I just sewed the way I wanted, and added puffed, short sleeves to it.

Another front view
                                                           
I bought this fabric on sale at JoAnn's for $5.99 per yard. I bought 1.5 yards for a total of $8.99. I only lined the top part of the dress. After adding the cost of the thread and zipper, this dress cost me about $15 (USD). That just shows how much you can save by making your own clothes.

Right side view

This fabric frays a lot! I mean, a whole lot! I was surprised though, by how easy it was to iron. I thought I was going to have a hard time ironing it, but absolutely not. I used a steam iron on low heat and it just turned out beautiful!

Left side view

I have more of this fabric in my stash, in a different color, of course. I can't wait to make another dress with it.

Back view

Do you see that little imperfection at the top (back neckline)? I'm not quite sure how to fix it without undoing the whole neckline. Also, with my zipper already in place, I think it would be too much work to go through all that just to fix it. So, oh well, I'll have to live with it.

Pattern cover

If you'd like to try this pattern, I highly recommend it. It is simple; you can adjust it however you like. 

Until next time, happy sewing!


18 comments:

  1. This is some lovely fabric. You are working away and building a nice wardrobe. Very pretty dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorothy. I really love this fabric.

      Delete
  2. Oooh. I like it! Can't beat those patterns with only a few pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes; they are so quick and easy to sew. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Another gorgeous dress! You definitely hit the jackpot with this fabric--and in another too. Great bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. JoAnn's had a really good sale. It's always nice to get great quality fabric for cheap.

      Delete
  4. I really like this! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've put in sleeves, which is quite tricky to do when there is no pattern for them. They look lovely - and so does the dress. Next time you have fabric that frays a lot, finish the seams (serge, zig-zag, whatever you do) first, so that they don't fray away on you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz; that's a great tip. I'll definitely do that next time since I have more of this fabric.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful dress! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete