Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Simplicity Sew Simple A1523 Top

I am absolutely pleased with this project! This top was such an easy, quick sew, even for a newbie like me. I chose to use a silk blend fabric, but the pattern is made for stretchy knits. I cut the pattern to a size 10, which turned out to be just the right size, even though I didn't use a stretchy fabric. 

Front view of the top. Sorry I didn't realize there was a little fold there at the bottom.

Using a silky fabric was a bit of challenge because it's slippery and frays easily. So I made all the seams french seams, to prevent them from fraying. The main change I made to this pattern was not attaching elastic to the lower side seams. 

Here is a zoomed-in view of the top.

I actually wore this top to work today, with RTW pants. It felt really good being complimented for something that I made. I really love this top; I can't wait to make another version of it.


17 comments:

  1. It's pretty and a perfect fit. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!!! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should feel good with those compliments. It looks great on you. Great decision to use French seams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have fashion sense to the heavens

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very pretty top - and with your slim frame I don't think you would have needed a stretch fabric for that top. I think leaving the elastic ruching at the bottom out was a very good idea - the cowl is the feature, and if you added ruching it would have detracted from that. And with your slim figure ruching is not needed to hide a tum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Liz. Yes, I also thought the ruching would be too much for this top, especially since I didn't use a knit fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy your blog! Therefore, I have nominated you for the Sunshine and Shine Award. Please visit my blog for more information

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your top is nice! I really need to look into this Sew Simple line by Simplicity--they have some great patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They really do have some great patterns. I like that they are easy and quick to make. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete