Friday, April 4, 2014

Book Review│ Simplicity Fabric Guide


I recently got a copy of Simplicity's Fabric Guide: The Ultimate Fiber Resource, which was released in 2011. For a sewist who's getting back in the game, like me, it is the perfect companion. The book comes packed with all sorts of info - from a brief history of fabric to caring for and working with fabric. 


There's a whole chapter with basic information on different types of fabric, including each fabric's characteristics, uses, and sewing tips. This is definitely a helpful tool when selecting fabric for your projects.

Lots of tips on fabric preparation

There's also a whole chapter on threads.

The brief history of fabric was definitely a teaser - I'd have enjoyed more info on that topic. Even though the book is excellent for newbies, I don't think seasoned sewists will find it as useful. If you've been sewing for a while, you probably know most of the stuff by heart, so it may be a boring read. 

The book is meant to be a guide to turn to again and again for most basic sewing questions. Overall, I think it is a must-have when you're starting out.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this book. I know I get frustrated with fabrics and what can interchange with what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! It defnitely answers most basic fabric questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat! I haven't seen this one, but I love fabric guides, especially when I am ordering fabrics online, or beginning a new project. It's true that your fabric can make or break your final result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is definitely great for online shopping.

    ReplyDelete